Friday, August 25, 2006

My favorite--and least favorite--commercials.

There are two commercials on television right now that have made quite an impression on me. The first one, I love. If I hear it coming on in the next room, I will drop whatever I'm doing to run in and watch it because it makes me roar with laughter. The second makes me want to throw up. I will run FROM the room to escape this advertising debacle.

My favorite commercial right now was created by Dairy Queen to promote its new mint Moolatte. A female newscaster comes onto the set, sporting an icy cold cupful of this decadent and creamy creation. She sets it down to await her on-air cue. Her co-newscaster, a snarky, irritating slick-haired dandy, grabs her Moolatte and starts drinking it. She swipes a hand to get it back and he taunts her with enjoyment, sipping seductively on the straw as the countdown to cue continues...

3-2-1. Smiling faces, Moolatte disappears. Woman: Good evening and welcome to blah-blah news. Today's top story--she reaches over, grabs her co-casters hair--Fred--yanks the hair from his head--has hair plugs--he sits in all his shocked and bald glory, she smiles sweetly-- Back to you...

I don't know who created this, but I can't even type it in without cracking up. If networkers are going to insist that we endure advertising while we're trying to enjoy a program, they ought to insist that the advertising be as entertaining as this one.

Now onto my least favorite commercial. This one is put on by Geico, I believe, who usually puts out pretty funny commercials. However, somebody lost a brick off their load when they wrote the one where Geico "hires" a celebrity to sit next to the customer and "act out" the customer's story.

Okay. They need to run a drug test down at the ad agency, because somebody's been smoking crack. A person would have to be stoned to think that I would like to sit and listen to Little Richard scream and flail his hands around while "helping" the customer to recount their poor, pitiful accident tale. Makes me want to put my hands around his neck and pop his already buggy eyes right out of his head. Where is the lizard, I ask you? Bring back the lizard!

Does anyone here have a loved or hated commercial? I'd love to hear about it.

5 Comments:

Blogger operamom said...

i watch nothing but pbs kids and well...pbs kids. commercials what?

7:06 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I bought a book by Kris Radish' "Annie Freeman's Fablous Traveling Funeral" and so far she's pretty funny. I am actually being pulled in and you know how hard that is for me.

I know I needed to comment on this a few days ago about the commercials so here it goes. I loathe that stupid commercial where the toenail fungus squirms under the toenail and takes up camp. They show it at dinner time and it really makes me want to throw up. GROSS!!!!

One of my favorites is one of the cell phone commercials where the guy has to wad up on top of a filing cabinet to get reception. That is a hoot. Of course, then he has to fall off. And I like all of the Sci-Fi Channel commercials where they are advertising the Sci -Fi station. Sometimes there are dragons and people doing magic or a normal animal morphing into something really cool. I love that.

My all time favorite is Wayne Brady singing about the coffee creamer International Delight. "When I wake up and reach for my smiley face cup...and get a little pour from you....forever and ever..." Brilliant!!!

Oh wow this was fun!!!! You need to ask the folks on Backspace the same question.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Lexie Ward said...

Queen Rebecca: Love it!

Operamama: Think of a commercial from your pre-children days. Something that really sticks in your brain.

7:07 AM  
Blogger operamom said...

for some reason...i can't remember a single commercial. it's like a have no commercial memory.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Lexie Ward said...

OperaMama:
Do these ring a bell?
"Ice cold milk and an Oreo cookie..."
"The Best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup..."

Oldies but goodies.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home