Saturday, November 18, 2006

I was reading a magazine of popular culture recently and noticed a story about Brad Pitt participating in Habitat for Humanity. The photographer had zoned in on a pic of Brad doing manual labor on the job. This is all well and good I suppose, but I couldn't help but wonder: where were all the other people working on this particular job? All the other volunteers and craftsmen who labored to give someone a home to call their own? Why does Brad Pitt deserve special recognition for something for which others receive absolutely no recognition?
It isn't that I don't applaud Pitt for participating in such endeavors. I do. And yet, I don't understand this fascination with the famous in our culture. Thousands of others have made the same personal sacrifices as Pitt--perhaps even greater ones--but they will never be lauded or recognized as he is. I know this is just the nature of the world and there is nothing I can do to change it.
But that fact doesn't stop it from bothering me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Seth Ward said...

Well, it is tough being incredibly handsom so I can relate enough to mr. pitt to tell you that it is just the nature of the beast I suppose. People just HAVE to have a picture of you.

A similar thing happened to me down at the ghetto. I was helping a poor negro out of his drunken stupor along with a couple of other helpful chaps and the camera people insisted on capturing only ME helping the man. This turned out to be a problem because the drunken man was a bit on the heafty side you see, so we had to use one of the helpers to act like a drunken man and then snap the shot. Unfortunately the whole endeavor left me rather spent so in the end I could only offer my moral support as the other men used their un-tapped energy to garner the poor negro from the mud and various waste.

Hope that helped your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Your incredibly HANDSOME brother.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Lexie Ward said...

oh, good lord.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

LMAO!!!

12:41 PM  
Blogger MUD said...

I want Brad to take his shirt off and get sweatty. I want the best hunky picture possible to cause people to give money and help Habitat. Publicity is the name of the game. I don't care about Brad on a personal level but hey if he can create publicity for a good cause, great. Perhaps he could take his shirt off and sit in front of a campfire on the jacket of your book. One man's ghetto is another man's home.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home